[pmwiki-users] upgrading from 2.0.13 to latest today....

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed May 19 17:16:23 CDT 2010

On Wednesday 19 May 2010 23:35:13, Patrick McKnight wrote :
> I read through the various change logs from the pre-2.1 series through
> today but it seems as if there are so many changes I cannot discern
> whether my current implementation is actually upgradeable.  Can anyone
> confirm that my upgrade can take place from 2.0 to 2.2 without many
> headaches?  Thanks in advance for any tips/comments.

Hello. Wow. No, unfortunately I cannot confirm that you can upgrade from 2.0
to 2.2 without headaches. :-)

Please *triple-check* that you have a full backup of your current working
installation. There are indeed a huge number of changes since 2.0.13 released
in 2005 (151 versions have been released).

Then you should be able to install the new version, try to read through the
ReleaseNotes and the documentation in order to fix everything that is broken.
If it doesn't seem fixable, you can restore your previous setup from the
backup.

The most important changes are outlined in the ReleaseNotes, in the sections
about Version 2.1.0 and Version 2.2.0.

I suspect that the wiki pages will work mostly fine and you'll be able to
recover all your content, but that a number of configuration variables and
options have changed in the meantime and the wiki could look weird, broken or
even not function at all. Also some recipes could fail to work any more, but
there could be a more recent version in the cookbook.

Or, there may be a better idea. You could also try to upgrade in a number of
steps, taking your time :
1. upgrade to 2.1.0 (with everything fixed and working),
2. upgrade to 2.1.27 (idem) last 2.1 stable
3. upgrade to 2.2.0  (idem) first 2.2 stable
4. upgrade to 2.2.16 (idem)

and every time reading the release notes :

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotesArchive
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotes

> By the way, I have been using pmwiki for 5 years and still going
> strong.  It is a great wiki and I hope to continue using it for the
> next decade.

PmWiki has more features now -- not sure if it is all good -- and more recipes
(plugins, modules).

Good luck,
Petko