[pmwiki-users] A robust user registration module

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Thu May 20 15:19:29 CDT 2010

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 5:08 PM, Hans <design5 at softflow.co.uk> wrote:
> PS: I just tried a new installation of it, as given on the recipe page.
> Created those Login pages, installed the scripts etc as described.
> then hitting white screens of death, or infinite page load times.
> I had to comment out all wikish lines in config and reboot the server.
> I am giving up on this for the moment, sorry, does not seem to be
> robust enough.

This is the single biggest disadvantage of authusersignup -- it's just
too much pain to install unless you're already using wikish otherwise
on your site.  It should be a single PHP script and a form on a page
or 2.

I'm pretty certain that the problems you ran into were not related to
the robustness or lack thereof of authusersignup but rather to the
unfortunate complexity of the installation or to cross-ups with other
recipes.  Documentation of the installation process is somewhat terse
in some points and a small change in the installation can lead to
unexpected/nonfunctional results.  Of course there's always the
possibility that a site's environment will be different, but this
recipe does not rely heavily on skin capabilities or something like
that...  My guess would be some other recipe wasn't playing nicely
with wikish (or vice versa).

> I could try and write an extension for Fox, to process the
> registration form and the confirmation form.
> But so far I never allowed Fox to write admin pages, to stay out of
> potential security problems.
> Although Fox can do mailing notifications already, I have not allowed
> Fox to mail to anywhere, the email targets need to be set on a
> template, or in config.

I tend to think it's not really ideal to have this functionality as a
subset of a larger form processor, but to have something
special-purpose instead.  But who am I to talk, having implemented
through wikish... :-)

-Peter