[pmwiki-users] problem with session_write_close

Tamara Temple tamouse.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 23:22:05 CDT 2011

I'm having a problem with a brand new installation of pmwiki. I've not
encountered this before so I'm unsure why this is happening. The
following two warnings are presented at the top of each page:

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: open(/
var/lib/php/session/sess_sh3dvs4pgiuq04vmj1tfmkqvj1, O_RDWR) failed:
Permission denied (13) in/var/www/vhosts/mouseha.us/httpdocs/
pmwiki-2.2.27/pmwiki.php on line 2012

Warning: session_write_close() [function.session-write-close]: Failed
to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting
of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php/session) in/var/www/
vhosts/mouseha.us/httpdocs/pmwiki-2.2.27/pmwiki.php on line 2012

There are plenty of other session files in that directory with the
owner/group apache:apache. I don't know why it can't deal with this.

(Cross-posted between pmwiki-users and php-general.)

Update: I found out what was happening -- nothing to do with php in
general. My lovely server management software (Plesk) has started
adding a new line to it's vhost http include file:

	SuexecUserGroup         mouse psacln

which means apache is running under the local user/group for
permissions. The file in question above was left over from a previous
incarnation of the site (I blew it away and recreated it to start
fresh - hah!) so the session file was left over from the previous
session (not at all clear why it didn't get a new one) and had the
wrong permissions set. Resetting the permissions solved the problem.