[pmwiki-users] vspace revisited

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jul 26 09:00:19 CDT 2011

On Tuesday 26 July 2011 09:25:27, Oliver Betz wrote :
> Nevertheless the tons of class='vspace' are not exactly beautiful.
>
> I talked to several very experienced web designers about using PmWiki
> as a CMS, and most of them strongly disliked the lots of CSS
> statements in the markup and the vspace handling.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you want. I understand that you
don't like how PmWiki handles vertical spaces, but what do you want?

Do you want the HTML to not contain class="vspace" in <p> tags, and no empty

  Markup('disablevspace', '<<vspace><p>', '/<:*vspace>/', '');

(If the page has a WikiStyle %p vspace%, it will still create <p
class='vspace'> tags.)

> I started a test case http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace to
> demonstrate the current PmWiki behaviour and "interesting" situations.

This page can be seen with all <vspace> tags removed: go to

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace?disablevspace=1

> See the test case - the list items, the paragraph and the image should
> all be aligned IMO.
>
> Try other skins, e.g.
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace?skin=monobook - list items are
> misaligned.

This comes from different margins, paddings and/or line-heights in list
containers, list items and paragraps, defined by the CSS of the skin. Removing
the vspace doesn't change it:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Vspace?skin=monobook&disablevspace=1

With the default skin, my browsers (Firefox, Chromium, Konqueror) show the
list items and the paragraph lines very precisely aligned. With the Monobook
skin they appear misaligned. This is both with and without the class=vspace
elements.

Petko