[pmwiki-users] Broken (:nl:) ?

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Sat Jun 4 12:42:11 CDT 2011

Petko Yotov wrote:

>> shouldn't "foo(:nl:)bar" make a new line between foo and bar?
>>
>> "foo(:nl:) bar" does, but "bar" is preformatted.
>
>Yes, (:nl:) creates a new line, if there is no new line just left or right of
>it. With "foo(:nl:) bar" the bar line starts with a space and in the default
>PmWiki installation is preformatted.
>
>With "foo(:nl:)bar" or "foo (:nl:)bar" the second line wouldn't be
>preformatted.

I just went to create http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Newline but
found that it already exists, and I also found a thread in this list:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/15031/

So if I understand correctly, "(:nl:)" doesn't create a newline in the
_output_ like "\\", but it acts like a newline in the _markup_?

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageDirectives writes that (:nl:) is
"Similar to [[<<]]" - this seems to be wrong.

In contrast, http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/MarkupMasterIndex
contains a description similar to Christian Ridderström's explanation
from the thread mentioned above:

| [[#nl]][@(:nl:)@] - Insert a newline into the ''markup'' if one is
| not already present before or after the directive. This is
| primarily for use together with directives  such as
| [[([==]:include ...:) -> #include]] and is  rarely used.

If my understanding is right, shouldn't (:nl:) be removed from
Site/EditQuickReference? I think such a special markup shouldn't be
mentioned there, and it shouldn't be mentioned beneath \\ and [[<<]].

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)