[pmwiki-users] New recipe: LocalTimes

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Jun 16 03:48:39 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 15 June 2011 14:38:30 V.Krishn wrote:
> Would it possible to have the original timestamp format for local users
> too? ie "June 15, 2011, at 07:11 AM" instead of 2011-06-15 7:11

No, but you can add to the page address "?nolt=1" to disable LocalTimes.

Note that local users will see "2011-06-15 07:11" which is exactly "June 15,
2011, at 07:11 AM", it is the same, only shorter, and it also works for
languages other than English and for wikigroups in different character
encodings (Chinese, Russian...).

> Just a small useability issue:
> I was thinking in terms
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChangesShort as a common
> reference point for page changes.
> So while chatting if I refer a page name by timestamp to someone(different
> locale),  both of us have to refer the tooltip to get the correct
> reference.

Timestamps are encoded in the links : the #diff123456789 part is the unique
timestamp of the edit, so you can just copy and send the link.

Using RecentChanges pages for reference is not a good idea because these pages
tend to change all the time. For a reference to a particular edit, best is to
open the page history and copy the link on the date of that edit -- you can
then send this permanent link.

> Just thinking if tooltip showing the local time of the visitor
> would be better idea?

The recipe can be modified to show the local time in a tooltip, but I don't
need this for pmwiki.org. If you want to install it on your own wiki, I'll
show you how.

I want to see all dates in my timezone, without having to wait for every
tooltip to appear over every link -- and you too see the dates in your local
timezone (which can be the same as for the server or not).

Again, you can add to the page address "?nolt=1" to disable LocalTimes.
Bookmark http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChangesShort?nolt=1 if you
like.

Alternatively, a page without "RecentChanges" in the name doesn't enable the
recipe, so if for example we include AllRecentChangesShort in such a page, you
will see the dates in the original format :
  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/ARCSNoLocalTimes

Petko