[pmwiki-users] Whither simple, dependable PmWiki login/self-registering mechanism?

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Mon Mar 21 16:30:47 CDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 9:32 PM, Al Louis Ripskis <ripskis at sprynet.com> wrote:
> From some of the responses it appears there is a need for a simple, dependable
> PmWiki login/self-registering mechanism.
> I took the liberty of pulling together below some of our recent activity on this subject.
> Unfortunately the first attempt didn’t work out.
> The question is: Now what?
> Does our user group have a procedure for handling such cases? Should we consult Pm on this?
> Or does it pretty well depend on someone volunteering to take the lead and follow through?

I believe UserAdmin is an excellent start and probably has most of the
functionality already needed.  Unless someone is planning on really
putting a lot of time into it then it just makes sense to "stand on
the shoulders" of Eemeli with the work he's done.

The idea of that recipe is to have it object-oriented with plug-in
capabilities for the actual storage of the additional information
needed.  Thus if someone wanted to store it in the Profile pages then
they would choose one plug-in.  If someone else wanted to store it in
some alternate form in the AuthUser table then they would choose a
different plug-in.

I don't know if Eemeli has time to contribute further.  If so that
would be ideal.  If not I can provide copies of our correspondence and
the most up-to-date code if anybody is willing to put some time &
effort into it...

To answer your question, yes, it depends on someone volunteering to
take the lead and following through.  There's not a lot of further
investigation that needs to be done, although if someone wanted to do
some testing on UserAdmin and provide that feedback via the talk-page
that would be helpful.  But if nobody steps up then I wouldn't hold my
breath...

-Peter