[pmwiki-users] Pre-alpha rich text WYSIWTF editor

Randy Brown alongkiss at aprivatespot.com
Tue Mar 29 13:06:28 CDT 2011

I agree. PmWiki would be much easier for end users, while retaining most of its strengths, if users could do rich text editing on the contents of specified sections of the page (by which I mean the parts of the page that a user might want to edit, including anchored sections, certain page variables, and page text variables). The rest of the page can be as complex as needed, without end users even knowing.

The editor could either show the whole page including markup (that is, behave as the current editor does) or just a specified section with a rich text view, depending on what the author wanted.

Some design thoughts: I would put a page text variable on the page for each section that the author wants to make available for rich text editing, for example "(:editanchoredABC:richtext:)", where ABC is the name of the anchored section, and richtext is the name of the editor. A URL with "?action=sectionedit?section=abc" would then invoke the "richtext" editor on section [[#ABC]]. If ABC were later changed from an anchored section to a page text variable, or if both existed and the author wanted to refer to the ptv, the author would use the flag to "(:editptvABC:richtext:)".  The rich text editor would show across the top links to reload the page to rich text edit any of the sections flagged by the author for that page. If there were an editing conflict, the page would display an error message allowing the user to either see the whole page for normal editing, where he or she can resolve the conflict, or to reload the current version of the page, losing the changes he or she had made.

Randy