[pmwiki-users] Pre-alpha rich text WYSIWTF editor

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Mar 30 07:41:01 CDT 2011

On Wednesday 30 March 2011 12:51:48, Oliver Betz wrote :
> Petko Yotov wrote:
> >It is exactly the opposite: there are just too many possibilities in wiki
> >markup that produce HTML that can never be reverted back to its source
> >wiki markup. For example dynamic PageLists, WikiTrails, PageVariables,
> >Includes, picture galleries... :-)
>
> Wouldn't be a WYSI* editor handling PmWiki markup directly the
> technically best solution?

One could argue that wiki code is exactly "What You See Is What You Mean",
only new users don't intuitively know what

  %red newwin rel=nofollow%'''click [[{*$FullName}?action=edit|here]]'''%%

means and cannot express themselves with it. :-) Even more true for those who
don't speak English.

I don't know what is the best solution -- what follows is just brainstorming.

It is so hard to edit without a recent JavaScript-enabled browser, that I
contemplate writing a JavaScript wiki2html2wiki parser that would read and
save the wikitext. That's technically complex and will not be a perfect clone
of the PHP version. And in this case You Don't Always Get Exactly What You
See.

We still need a way to indicate in the page which part was edited by the RTE
and which is wiki code.

(:richtext2:)
!! Some title
This is a ''wiki code'' generated by the RTE.
* a list item
* another one
etc. This is literal: (:pagelist:) (:include:) (:title:) will not generate
pagelists, includes and titles.
(:richtext2end:)

(:richtext Group.Page:) could get and save the rich text to a different page.

The edit toolbar could have a drop-down menu or tabs like
- Edit the full wiki page
- Edit Rich text section 1
- Edit Rich text section 2
- Edit Page title and description
which would open different types of edit forms.

An advanced user might edit the markup in the richtext sections knowing that
it is only a subset of the full PmWiki markups.

Petko