[pmwiki-users] No automatic charset/encoding conversion?

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Sat May 21 15:05:15 CDT 2011

Petko Yotov wrote:

>> the page files contain information about their encoding, e.g.
>> "charset=ISO-8859-1" or "charset=UTF-8".
>>
>> But it seems PmWiki doesn't use this information to convert
>> automatically to current encoding, for example if I enable UTF-8 in an
>> existing installation, pages with "charset=ISO-8859-1" don't work
>> anymore?
>
>Hello. Yes, you are correct. At the moment PmWiki only stores this information
>without using it. But someday the charset information will help migrating

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you have any suggestion how to switch easily the encoding in an
existing installation? As far as I see, I had to change the character
encoding of the page files and I had to replace the
"charset=ISO-8859-1" string with "charset=UTF-8".

>existing 2.x.x pages to version 2.3.x which should be in UTF-8.

Maybe I should wait for version 2.3?

Oliver
--
Oliver Betz, Muenchen (oliverbetz.de)