[pmwiki-users] Large ammount of articles... about 50k

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue May 24 16:50:50 CDT 2011

On Monday 23 May 2011 22:07:29, Jaime Sempere wrote :
> thanks a lot for your personal help. What do you think about the other
> suggested solution proposed, using SQLite recipe? What approach would you
> use?

Hello. I never had more than 300 pages on a wiki, running the SQLite PageStore
class. It will be interesting to test it with more pages, and there are some
encouraging comments at the SQLite-Talk page about performance improvements,
speed of searches, pagelists and includes.

OTOH, recent tests on our new PmWiki.org server (with the default PageStore,
not with SQLite) showed that in a huge pagelist or search -8000 pages-, most
of the processing time was spent on ordering and formatting the results, like
1000 times more than the time spent opening and reading the files. Unexpected.

I think for a large number of large pages, edited often by many people at the
same time, and with many visitors, the performance will likely be worse than
the default PmWiki engine on a recent filesystem (Reiser4, Ext4, JFS) and with
per-group (sub-)sub-directories as Pm suggested.

The SQLite class needs testing. Most of my sites have been using the SQLite
recipe for years, but they have few pages, editors and visitors.

Petko