[pmwiki-users] WYSIWYG is Indispensable; Moment of Truth

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Thu May 26 04:28:53 CDT 2011

Chris Cox wrote:

[...]

>> several people I asked recently also said that every kind-of-WYSIWYG
>> CMS they know sometimes creates wrong (and hard to repair) markup.
>
>None of them are truly WYSIWYG.. they ALL have errors.. and none of them cover a
>true wiki scenario.

Maybe "visual" describes it better.

>> Nevertheless there is one case where a WYSIWYG editor is extremly
>> useful: Table editing!
>
>I disagree.. somewhat.  Again, having used some of the "table editors" inside of
>supposedly superior "wiki" alternatives (btw, most of the people whining are
>probably NOT looking at a wiki)... I can tell you that the editor bites you
>almost as much as it helps you.  And when it messes up, you can lose data and

that's what I wanted to express. I'm no WYSIWYG advocate since I also
think that it will limit you more than it helps in most cases.

I just wanted to point out one scenario where visual editing (in the
wiki or in an external application) is useful: Extensive editing of
tables with horizontally and vertically related data.

And I also listed ways to do it...

[...]

>I've got an extension to PmWiki that turns all tables into streaming csv for a
>page... and I submitted the PmDocConvert that allows you to embed and portray

...Text2Tbl works for me.

ConvertHTML with Kompozer is also viable.

Oliver