[pmwiki-users] Syncing / migrating a wiki configuration

Oliver Betz list_ob at gmx.net
Fri May 27 03:22:36 CDT 2011

Oguz Altun wrote:

>I have this wiki installation that I spend quite a time to install
>recipes, write my own download application, etc... So, I want to just
>transfer (some of) it to this new site, change the logo, skin, etc, and
>get a new site with hopefully much less work. In fact It would be real
>fine to periodically sync them, to ease maintaining.
>
>The two sites are running on linux machines, and my only access is
>through ftp. So, no rsync or unison to me. Furthermore, my desktop

not even SFTP or FTPS?

>machine is a windows. So when I transfer to my desktop, e.g. by wget,
>permissions are lost. Big down for me.

Why wget?

>So, how can I transfer/sync these two? Thx.

Since you are using Windows, try Beyond Compare Pro from Scooter
Software http://www.scootersoftware.com/ - it's priceless!

What are your specific need regarding permissions? You can't easily
mirror the linux permissions to your local copy on the Windows
machine, so you need another plan to get them right.

Beyond Compare does not copy ermissions even between two sftp accounts
on unixoid machines, but it sets default permissions: owner
read/write, group read, world read.

You can set attributes manually for a set of files in Beyond Compare.

Oliver