[pmwiki-users] Problem with trashing deleted files from a folder

John Bowling johnlb2002 at cox.net
Sun Oct 16 21:40:09 CDT 2011

On 10/16/2011 02:10 PM, kirpi at kirpi.it wrote:
> I use the Blog-It recipe. And it works fine.
> Actually, my only reason for adopting such a recipe is its ability to
> handle comments in a simple and practical way, allowing for editing,
> approving and deleting.
>
> I use per-group page store, so all comments go to a wiki.d/Comments/ folder.
> Now, due to the vast amount of spam comments I "deleted" during the
> past months, I tried to open the /Comments/ folder and trash all
> deleted files. This is required as deleted pages are not completely
> removed until a wiki administrator trashes them from the wiki.d
> directory (which is a wise pmwiki behaviour).
>
> Here comes my problem: it happens that using my ftp account I cannot
> even open the /Comments/ folder, as the connection times out, trying
> to list all files.
> I'm on a cheap shared hosting, so there is no way (I think) to enter
> the system otherwise.
>
> How can I trash those "deleted" files in the wiki.d/Comments/ directory, please?
>
> I guess something could be done with the WikiSh tool but I know
> nothing about regular expressions and, due to the specific action
> required (selective file deletion from the server), I'm absolutely
> convinced it is too delicate and it is not the case for trials and
> errors.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, there was (and I probably used, in the past) a
> way to delete all history, following your need, after some time.
>
> So, there is maybe also the way (perhaps something to be placed in a
> per-group config file) to tell the system: automatically trash
> "deleted" files after some set time.
> Sort of how also Gmail does.
>
> What do you think, please?
>
> Luigi

Not sure what you are using, but I use FireFTP add on to Firefox, and
connected to GoDaddy, I have had the connection stay open for at least
two hours as I updated and tested. Sometimes with more than 30 minutes
with no activity. I can also select groups of files and delete all
selected. No problems with timeout, when deleting over 400 calendar
files - PmCal day pages in wiki.d

John

John