[pmwiki-users] Problem with trashing deleted files from a folder

Mon Oct 24 09:35:35 CDT 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 7:57 AM, Eric Forgeot <eforgeot at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 21/10/2011 10:06, tamouse mailing lists a écrit :
>
> Backups. Backups. Backups.
>

> Before you delete pages, you may want to backup your wiki.d
> folder. See below for a way of doing that with rsync or wget.
>

> at the beginning of this thread, he explained he's hosting his pmwiki on a
> cheap mutualised server, so he doesn't have any ssh access, and besides,
> there is even a problem for copying the wiki.d folder from ftp, because this
> folder is full of deleted comments (spams)
>
> Someone suggested wget, I suggested lftp and this recipe to backup the whole
> folder into a single file (easier to download, it shouldn't give a timeout)
> from the wiki  : http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/BackupPages

Yes, I see that now -- sorry for the misdirection.

As I also mentioned wget, I thought I'd at least throw in how to snag
the files that way without the deleted files along with:

  $  wget --user=<ftpuser> --ask-password --recursive  --reject
'*del-*,.flock,.lastmod,.pageindex' 'ftp://server/path/to/wiki.d/*'

As it's not grabbing the deleted files, which seems to be what's
causing the timeout problem in downloading, this shouldn't be a
problem. After the files are downloaded, blowing away the Comments
directory and remaking it again should be able to get rid of all those
deleted pages. Then the Comments directory can be put back with normal
ftp.

lftp is also good, I didn't know about it before --thanks for pointing
it out. I'm not sure what systems it exists on (at least on
Debian-based ones). It's available for OSX in the fink distro as well.
(Not native Darwin.)