[pmwiki-users] PmFeed

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Sep 8 20:30:53 CDT 2011

On Thursday 08 September 2011 16:14:16, Forgeot Eric wrote :
> I'd really like to be able to use pmfeed with pmwiki.
> I got the same error as the user on
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PmFeed :  "Error: It's not possible to
> reach RSS file"
>
> I tried with the rss provided with the example :
> http://www.digg.com/rss/index.xml and with several others as well, for the
> same result.

The example URL redirects to a different address, this may be the reason. Try:

  http://services.digg.com/2.0/story.getTopNews?type=rss

Try also this one, on pmwiki.org:

  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Site/AllRecentChanges?action=rss

> I'm pretty sure it's because of the configuration of the
> webserver. I tried it 3 different ways for the same output: the first one
> on a free webhost, which may not allow to use curl to retrieve the feed.
> The second one using xampp (on linux). I had used the default values. The
> last one using the php and apache provided by my linux distribution
> (archlinux): I had enabled extension=curl.so in my php.ini, and I have
> installed php-curl as well (phpinfo tells me curl is enabled).
> What could I have missed?

It looks like the recipe doesn't try to use php-curl library but the
independent programs curl, wget or lynx. To work, they should be installed so
that it would be possible for you to use them from a terminal, and the paths
to them should be correct: if on your system they are not in /usr/bin/, set
the array $PmFeedAltGet to the correct paths (near line 716 of pmfeed.php).

The recipe should be able to work without curl, with php only. I'd try to use
external programs only if the default mode fails.

Some hosting providers disable all ways to retrieve content via HTTP and/or to
call external programs. On your own server, you may have to enable the php.ini
directive allow_url_fopen, see:

  http://php.net/manual/en/filesystem.configuration.php#ini.allow-url-fopen

At any rate, the author of the recipe Chris Cox may be able to give you more
information. If he is not reading the list, try to contact him directly.

Petko