[pmwiki-users] Re : PageTableOfContents broken

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Sep 29 23:38:08 CDT 2011

>>As the original co-author (along with Christian Ridderstrom) of pagetoc,
>>I'm aware that it's a bit of a neglected child. There have also been some
>>recent efforts to rectify its shortcomings. Is it still fit for purpose,
>>or does it need an overhaul and general update?
>
> I can't really tell. I'm using pagetoc with a specific cookbook, txt2tags:
> http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Txt2tags
>
> I had no problem with it until I decided to change:
>
> Markup ('txt2tags_h2','<txt2tags_h1'    , '/( *)==[^=](.*?)[^=]==/',
> "!!$2");
> Markup ('txt2tags_h2','<txt2tags_h1'    , '/^( *)==[^=](.*?)[^=]==/',
> "!!$2");
>
> So I removed the faulty syntax.

My guess is that the !! markup txt2tags inserts can confuse pagetoc's code
for keeping track of headings. The txt2tags recipe may need to work its
magic before pagetoc processes the (:toc:) directive.

> It could be cool to get 4 levels of TOC, though.

At the time, we could not see a way to go reliably and easily beyond 2
levels. We concluded that to do this required a re-write of the toc
processing code (which is ugly). This looked hard and would take more time
than we felt was warranted.

If there is enough interest, it may be worth another look.

JR
--
John Rankin