[pmwiki-users] unable to retrieve edit form Site.EditForm

Clemens Gruber cgruber at uni-osnabrueck.de
Fri Apr 6 06:55:07 CDT 2012

Petko Yotov wrote:
> Interesting. In fact, between 2.2.35 and 36 there are some changes in the
> functions which read a page text and metadata. So this may need some
> examination.
>
> If you can test the version 2.2.36 again, can you read any other page from the
> core distribution, or do you get an empty page? Like your local page
> PmWiki.ReleaseNotes for example.

Hello Petko,

thanks for re-evaluating this problem! I have tested this issue again:

With PmWiki Version 2.2.35 all went fine. After updating to Version
2.2.36 editing was not able. Error message: "PmWiki can't process your
request ?unable to retrieve edit form Site.EditForm".

All pages are "normal" readable. But PmWiki.ReleaseNotes is not
readable. As you supposed I get only an empty page.

> What is the encoding (charset) of your wiki? Do you have in config.php a line
> including scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php ?

My character encoding is ISO-8859-1 (serverside) but there is a mismatch
as I see right now: On some pages ther is set UTF-8 in the head:

I have no "scripts/xlpage-utf-8.php" but this

> ## german language
> XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.XLPage');
> XLPage('de','PmWikiDe.XLPageCookbook');

> If you add to config.php such a line, can you edit in 2.2.36 ?
>
>    $PageRecodeFunction = "IsEnabled";

Yes, this fix the problem!

> (This will disable the core functions used for converting the pages from one
> encoding to another. If you can edit with that line, the problem is likely
> there. Your error message may indicate that either the page Site.EditForm is
> not accessible -- doesn't exist, doesn't have the required file persissions,
> or the visitor doesn't have the required wiki permissions, -- or that the
> recode function returns nothing -- which shouldn't happen because the code
> only uses PHP functions that are not disabled, but still.)

Hmm, what does this mean "the problem is likely there"?
- Site.EditForm exists and there was no problem the last 20 PmWiki
updates or longer
- The file permission is ok, in my configuration 644 for
wikilib.d/Site.EditForm in the working environment as well as in 2.2.36
(btw there is no Site.EditForm in wiki.d)
- wiki permissions have not changed, only update from 2.2.35 to 2.2.36
so I think this is also not the reason.

I set up a fresh new PmWiki with version 2.2.36 on the same server and
all worked find. So I think it is a problem with old existing PmWikis
and updates. But I have no idea where to go on ...

Regards
Clemens