[pmwiki-users] pmwiki skin

V.Krishn vkrishn4 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 04:04:17 CDT 2012

On Sunday, August 26, 2012 11:18:13 PM Carlos AB wrote:
> There is just one thing I don't fully agree with, that is to change
> the position of pmwiki.css, as I believe the <style>...</style> area
> is really good, because it gives recipe writers a dynamic space and a
> chance to override permanently or eventualy a css rule defined within
> pmwiki.css .

A. pmwiki.css BEFORE <!--HTMLHeader-->
Pros:
1. Various methods of overrides available.
Cons:
1. All overrides should take care that the basic essence or structural
integrity of the skin is not broken, hence mostly resort to styling via
specific Class or Id.

B. pmwiki.css AFTER <!--HTMLHeader-->
Pros:
1. Since most overrides are styled using specific Class or Id, this placing of
pmwiki.css should rather help in preserving the basic essence or structural
integrity of the skin. Hence, to make best of this setting, recipe writers
should refrain from generic styling for overriding.
Cons:
1. Only generic styling should(recommended) be used in pmwiki.css.
2. Ensuring generic overrides not be used in recipes.

> But either before or after a new css rule can replace another trough
> it's specificity, but I believe the current way is just more
> convenient.

Yes, this setting works for recipes I used so far.

No usage or scenario has been given for the requested change.
If preserving the design intent(theme) of the skin is a concern,
css guidelines can be written for recipe writers.

> Since the dynamic area is not accessible to users (just if trough a
> recipe) there are no major dangers for the wiki site and while doing
> that makes things simple for the user, the admin and recipe writer.
>
> If you want to impose a hard restriction, even for recipes, just load
> another file bellow the dynamic section and make the selector very
> specific.
>
> CarlosAB
>
> On 8/26/12, Carlos AB <cabsec.pmwiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> > +1  Good ideas