[pmwiki-users] New version of AddLinkBookmarklet

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Jun 28 21:22:23 CDT 2012

tamouse mailing lists writes:
> I've been working on making quite a few changes to the
> AddLinkBookmarklet recipe
> (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AddLinkBookmarklet) and I'd
> rather like to post them, but I'm not sure where is appropriate.
> Should I attach my changed version (called addlink-tags2.zip) to the
> original recipe page and modify it, or would it be more appropriate to
> write a new recipe page?

My general thoughts:
Maybe contact the original author for his opinion. He may wish to review and
include your changes, or even let you take over the recipe as a maintainer.
Otherwise, if the license of the recipe allows it, you can fork it and
publish your own versions.

If you attach your own files to a recipe by another developer, it may be a
good idea to name your files with distinctive names and not overwrite the
files that are not yours. (We have per-group uploads, so attaching a file to
a different page in the Cookbook group may also overwrite an existing file.)

About this recipe: there are already versions created by others and attached
to the same recipe. Is it better this way (the Cookbook:PITS page also has
versions, the Flash recipes too) or is it better to have different cross-
linked cookbook pages for every version (like the TOC and Math recipes)? I
don't know - both ways may be hard for newcomers.

At any rate it is better to have more choice than less, so do publish your
version.

What do all of you think?

Petko