[pmwiki-users] A dummy way to attach images?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Mar 8 16:04:25 CST 2012

At the other end of the spectrum, perhaps I can share some experiences
handling image sizing when transforming web pages into (print) books. I
see solving the problem as a 2 step process: first figure out the
ingredients, then decide how to mix them together.

- the php getimagesize function tells us how big an image is -- essential
to working out what to do with it

- resize treatment depends on the aspect ratio (width to height -- is the
image landscape or portrait)

- decide parameters for maxwidth and maxheight

- the user probably has to specify optional parameters
-- image alt text
-- caption text
-- centre, float left or float right

- the developer has to develop some handling rules
-- for landscape images
--- the displayed width can't exceed maxwidth
--- if it's float left or right, width can't exceed (say) .5 x maxwidth
--- if it's centred, width can't exceed (say) .75 x maxwidth
-- for portrait images
--- the displayed height can't exceed maxheight
--- if it's float left or right, width can't exceed (say) .25 x maxwidth
--- if it's centred, width can't exceed (say) .5 x maxwidth

- the developer can vary how to interpret landscape or portrait; for
example, on paper, it seems to work if one interprets portrait as
width:height as at least 1:1.4 (square root of 2)

Hope this helps
JR

--
John Rankin