[pmwiki-users] asciimath workaround?

David Spitzley dspitzle at wash.k12.mi.us
Thu Oct 25 09:12:08 CDT 2012

After not visiting my wiki for a while, I've discovered that I'm getting the following PHP warning message:
Deprecated: Assigning the return value of new by reference is deprecated in [DIRECTORY_STRUCTURE]/cookbook/asciimath.php on line 84

I know a reasonable amount about PHP, but have never used the reference mechanism.  There's also a notice on http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ASCIIMath-Talk that "This recipe seems to have a collision with with markup like {$pagetextvar}. In other words, it seems to currently be broken, and I can't see how to fix it except to disable that markup in asciimath.php" .  Does that "collision" account for the deprecation warning above?  If so, how would I disable the markup causing the problem?  If not, any suggestions on a workaround?