[pmwiki-users] Cross Site Scripting

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri Apr 19 19:16:29 CDT 2013

What was the previous PmWiki version which didn't have XSS?

This is very likely not something related to PmWiki 2.2.49. When a browser
requests an URL like
http://ella.shadlenlab.columbia.edu/undefined1<ScRiPt>prompt(933131)</ScRiPt>
this request is very likely NOT processed by PmWiki at all.

If a browser requests a URL in the pmwiki/pub directory, the request is NOT
processed by PmWiki at all. Same for the other directories you listed below.

You should check your ErrorDocument 404 files, which may be vulnerable.

Or, it may be that some of your recipes is vulnerable, but what you posted
doesn't look like it.

Only the requests to /index.php and /pmwiki/index.php are suspicious - if
you have such files, check their content. The one in the pmwiki/ directory
should only include or require pmwiki.php like this:

   <?php include_once('pmwiki.php');

Petko