[pmwiki-users] convert pmwiki pages to epub (was: Default Skin and Responsive Web Design for mobile browsers)

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Jul 2 00:53:37 CDT 2013

On 1/07/13 10:24 PM, Eric Forgeot wrote:

> 2013/6/30 John Rankin <john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
> <mailto:john.rankin at affinity.co.nz>>
>
>      there is also calibre's command line interface and pandoc
>     http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/. I did some brief experiments
>     using calibre, using the html output from PublishPDF on a big html
>     file generated from a pmwiki trail page.
>

> maybe it's a bit off-topic in relation to responsive webdesign,
Quite right; topic changed.
> but I worked for some time on tools to export a pmwiki website to pdf
> and to epub (I probably posted the links some time ago).
Interesting!

> There is a catch, though, because it's not using the default pmwiki
> syntax, but it's probably possible to either export the default syntax
> to txt2tags, or to adapt the tools to the legit pmwiki syntax.
Since Calibre works off xhtml, it should be practical to start from
standard pmwiki syntax, with the markup rules modified if needed to
produce xhtml suitable for Calibre to ingest.

> It must be run from the command line on the pmwiki installation (but
> you can use a mirror, you do backup your pmwiki data, don't you?), and
> requires LaTeX, python, some perl and bash regex and Calibre.
>
> So for example for this RPG background (in French):
> http://anamnese.online.fr/granderegion/
>
> We can get:
> - http://anamnese.online.fr/granderegion/uploads/granderegion.pdf
> - http://anamnese.online.fr/granderegion/uploads/granderegion.epub
>
> The project:
> https://code.google.com/p/pmwiki-efo/

Ideally, I think one wants a standard pmwiki recipe, preferably without
any third party software like Calibre. However, to get there it may be
sensible to start with Calibre as a black box epub creator, get that
working within pmwiki, then figure out what it's doing and re-cast it
into php. Presumably we can reuse the epub css file included in the
above link.

As an initial working assumption, it may be reasonable to define the use
case as: "use a trail page or pagelist as input to a pmwiki action which
generates an epub, stores it in the upload directory, and returns a link
to it."

Comments?

--
John Rankin