[pmwiki-users] Heading level markup seems incorrect

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Jun 29 09:27:10 CDT 2013

H. Fox <haganfox <at> users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Excellent answer:
> > The heading display is under the control of pub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki.css
> > and in particular the following settings (from that file):
> [...]
> > So h1, h2, h3, and h6 are normal weight, whereas h4 and h5 are bold
> > weight. You can edit these settings to produce the effect you prefer.
>
> What I would add to that is:
> What you see is not necessarily what your visitors will get.  It's
> easy to forget cross-browser compatibility when you're tweaking your
> pages to get them "just right".
>
> Put another way: Your pages can (do) appear differently when people
> visit your site with various browsers (and operating systems, etc.).

Good point.  As the CSS bits posted by another responder showed, the font
size should decrease in size as you move from h1 to h6.  I finally got
around to checking this out on my Mac this morning where I have multiple
browsers (Chrome, Safari, Firefox).  The font sizes do shrink.  On my Linux
box at work where I only have Chrome, the h3 and h4 render in the same size.
Since the h4 is bold, it looks like it is more important than h3.

I will fiddle around a bit with the CSS but won't expect miracles.  Thanks for
the responses.

Skip