[pmwiki-users] another utf 8 question

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Fri May 31 14:27:08 CDT 2013

The characters that appear on your site are 0xEF 0xBF 0xBD which is the
standard Byte order mark (or mask). One of your *.php or *.tmpl files was
modified and saved with BOM and it shouldn't. You should reopen it and save
it in "UTF-8 without Byte Order Mark" (or "without BOM"), then upload them
back to the server.

The files which come in the PmWiki core distribution don't have Byte order
marks. I don't know of any recipe which comes with a BOM. If I were you, I'd
first look at the files which you have modified yourself.

On some editors you need to go into the menu "Document" and uncheck the
option "Write Unicode BOM". In others, select an option from the File-SaveAs
dialog box. Or it may be elsewhere in the menus.

Some text editors don't allow you this, but Geany, Notepad++, Kate can do
this and they are free.

See about BOM here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byte_order_mark .

Petko