[pmwiki-users] The Philosophy of PmWiki: adding to the core

Tamara Temple tamouse.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 23:54:29 CST 2013

On Nov 5, 2013, at 6:14 PM, Simon <nzskiwi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ian and Tamara
>
> I am not advocating PmWiki becoming bloatware or 'all things to all people'. Far from it.
>
> And I think that the recipe system is great. I've created two recipes, it was a challenge for me, but I could do it, great.
>
> My concern is the opposite.
> If the PmWiki core is (too?) small, and (too?) many features are in the cookbook then
> PmWiki websites will end up being inconsistent, with each PmWiki implementing a different subset of cookbook based features, fixes, and markup, depending on the knowledge and ability of the wiki webmaster to 'know' which extensions to use, and be able to install and configure it,

Perhaps it is just our own views of how things should be here that is different. I don’t have a problem with requiring someone installing and configuring a software package to need to know how to do what they want, how to extend what they want, and how to manage it all. I don’t see anything wrong with the situation you describe above.

What, exactly, constitutes "too small"? What is it you can’t do now? What is it that turns people away? And what is "too large"? For me, "too large" means including things I don’t need, don’t use, and have a better way to do in some other fashion. Then, too, too large means too slow, putting more strain on the server to deliver a page.

Perhaps I should go through the PITS list in more detail, but I haven’t found anything compelling there in years.