[pmwiki-users] New skn

Ian MacGregor ardchoille42 at me.com
Mon Nov 11 17:26:50 CST 2013

You have point.

What I did was to create two skins, one for desktop use and one for small iOS devices, and give the visitor a choice of which skin they want to use. Maintaining two skins is trivial, in my opinion.

This skin looks great in a desktop web browser:
http://www.ianmacgregor.net/Main/Homeapage

This skin looks great on the iPhone/iPod:
http://www.ianmacgregor.net/Main/Homeapage?setskin=flottermini

Both skins include a link in the upper right corner of the page to allow the user to toggle between desktop and mobile skins (browser cookie). This was the best way I could find to get the best layout on as many devices as possible. Responsive design works great for the desktop machine, but it looks rather bad for small iOS devices, and iOS is all I use.

See this cookbook recipe for an outline of how I accomplished this:
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MobileUsers

Regards,
Rev. Ian MacGregor
http://www.ianmacgregor.net