[pmwiki-users] Deprecated preg_replace() eval feature in PHP 5.5

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Sep 19 15:38:33 CDT 2013

Hello. Patrick and I have started addressing the issue of a deprecated
function in future versions of PHP.

Partick found the time to look into the problem and suggested a solution
which I couldn't see myself in the last 3-4 months. I have worked on it
yesterday and today and the migration appears possible, without breaking
existing recipes or dropping support for PHP 4!!

At this moment, most of the core Markup() rules are rewritten to the new
format, and we still need to decide how to deal with different replacement
patterns like $ROSPatterns or $MakePageNamePatterns.

The next PmWiki version should be mostly done and compatible with PHP 5.5.

Our plan is to first remove the deprecated feature from the core program,
and then advise recipe authors to use the new Markup definition format
(which will be relatively easy).

In a recipe, the old format will continue to work with the new PmWiki
versions so an existing wiki with local customisation shouldn't break after
a PmWiki upgrade. But if your hosting provider forces you to use PHP 5.5 or
just disables the deprecated feature, you may have to upgrade both PmWiki
and your recipes.

Petko