[pmwiki-users] Category nesting question

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Fri Jan 17 09:26:49 CST 2014

On Fri, Jan 17, 2014 at 4:44 AM, Chris Lott <chris at chrislott.org> wrote:

> What I want to add is have [[!Eggs]] as a nested category so,
> ultimately, the users can look at Eggs in Breakfasts or Eggs in
> Appetizers (and, ideally, all Eggs recipes). How do I go about setting
> this up?

Unfortunately I believe that what you are wanting to do is not currently
possible for *truly* nested categories.  If you use the nested category as
Petko suggested there is no differentiation between the Eggs category for
Breakfasts or the Eggs category for Appetizers - when you go to view the
pages in Eggs you will see both of them.  Would it work to name them
[[!Appetizers-Eggs]] and [[!Breakfast-Eggs]] or does it get to prone to
typos then?

Another alternative would be to make your Categories.Eggs page a
"disambiguation" page with a link to Categories.Appetizers-Eggs and another
link to Categories.Breakfast-Eggs and on Breakfast-Eggs your pagelist would
include *both* the !Breakfast *and* the !Eggs categories.  It's not quite
so seamless from a user perspective as they have an additional page in
between that they have to click through, but I think you arrive at your
desired funcationality in the end...  And, where appropriate, you could
direct-link to the final page (i.e., on the Category.Appetizers page you
could exclude the Eggs page explicitly from the pagelist and explicitly
include the Appetizers-Eggs page.

-Peter

-Peter