[pmwiki-users] Trying to revive an old wiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue May 26 03:33:11 CDT 2015

Hello,

There is a bug/feature with the function htmlspecialchars() in PHP 5.4
and newer. If the string to be converted contains invalid characters for
the charset, it returns blank. Moreover, the default_charset directive
changed from iso8859-1/cp1252, an 8 bit encoding where all characters
are valid, to UTF-8, a variable-bit encoding where some combinations of
characters are invalid.

So, the easiest fix is to set the "default_charset" directive in php.ini
to an 8-bit encoding like CP1252.
   http://php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.default-charset

But in order to fix it for future compatibility, it is recommended, in
all your recipes and local customizations, to replace any call to
htmlspecialchars() with the core helper function PHSC() which takes care
of the problem.

Petko