[pmwiki-users] IP Address

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Sat Mar 19 16:46:10 CDT 2016

On 2016-03-19 19:19, DaveG wrote:
> NB: Looks like devel list is down -- this is a cc to user list.

Thanks for your message.

> Is there an existing function which would return the IP address of the
> initial creator of a page? Perhaps some sort of pagelist function?

Sorry, there isn't.

> It seems like this would be the lowest 'host:' in a pmwiki page file.
> Is it safe to assume this would always be the last thing in the file,
> or is that just due to my setup?

If the file format is ordered (version= line), probably. Otherwise you
can check the timestamps and get the host:stamp with the
lowest/smallest/earliest stamp.

Note that PmWiki drops the oldest page history: see the variables
$DiffKeepDays and $DiffKeepNum. By default, it should drop history older
than 3650 days (almost 10 years) but should keep at least 20 diffs, even
if older than 10 years.

Also, the content can be refactored, moved, sliced, deleted and restored
by new authors: then the page history may be lost. The pages shipped
with the core installation only have the latest author's name and for
most of them have their IP addresses discarded. What will show the page
variable for such a page?

See also:
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/AuthoringPhilosophy
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PageCreator
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MovePage (keeps the page history
after renaming/moving a page)
    http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/EditVariables#EnableDraftAtomicDiff
(if enabled, draft history and authors' names/ips are discarded)

IIRC years ago there was a discussion on the mailing list about the
original author's name but I don't seem to find it now. ("The initial
author may not be the one who added the most content or improved most
the page...")

Petko