[pmwiki-users] pmwiki content not visible after Debian upgrade

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue May 17 16:44:31 CDT 2016

What you describe is often caused by a change in PHP 5.4 which affects
the function htmlspecialchars().

The easiest temporary fix would be in your php.ini, or in .user.ini to
change the default_charset directive to an 8-bit charset, for example
cp1252:

   default_charset = "Windows-1252"

Or, this may sometimes work in pmwiki/local/config.php:

   ini_set("default_charset", "Windows-1252");

A more permanent fix would be to upgrade your installation to a more
recent PmWiki version, your recipes, and to check if your own recipes or
modules use htmlspecialchars() and replace these calls with PHSC(), a
PmWiki helper function for such cases.

The "blank" pages come from the fact that in PHP 5.4 the default
encoding switched from an 8-bit encoding to variable-bit validated
UTF-8, and that an incorrect UTF-8 string will be rejected. If your wiki
uses an 8-bit encoding, it is virtually certain that it is not valid
UTF-8. Worse, even if you do use UTF-8 some browsers may submit invalid
bits. So the PHSC() function always pretends that it converts an 8-bit
encoding where all bits are allowed.

Petko

---
Change log     :  http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ChangeLog