[pmwiki-users] Responsive skin added to core, enabled on pmwiki.org

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Wed Apr 26 17:45:00 CDT 2017

Hello,

In the last few days I've been working on the responsive skin for the
core, based on the 2016 skin.[*]

It is now added to subversion and will be in 2.2.98. You can get it with
the pre-release archive here:
   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Subversion

It will NOT be enabled by default in the default installation, but I've
enabled it on the pmwiki.org website so that more people can test it and
report any problems.

I'll have to better document it but here are the changes from the last
release of the 2016 skin:

1. The function that allows to print header and footer sections of the
skin from wiki pages changed to make the template appear less complex to
newcomers: this is always a goal for PmWiki and I wasn't happy with how
the 2016 skin did it.

Now the full HTML snippet moved from the php script back to the html
template for people to easily find it. A slightly different function
looks for the section from the wiki page, and if there is one, the
template section is disabled.

2. In mobile view, when the menu, search form and actions block are
open, the background is faded. This helps focusing your view on the open
block. This does not require JavaScript to work.

When you click out of the open block, on the background, any open blocks
are closed. This uses JavaScript, but when unavailable, you can still
close the open block by clicking on the large red X icon, like before.

3. The minimum width for the "desktop" layout increased to 38em (about
600px) which allows some 7-inch tablets and large phones to switch the
layout from desktop to mobile by rotating the device in portrait or
landscape orientation.

4. The header and footer in mobile mode are now the same light gray
background as in the desktop mode (instead of white). Inversely, the
popups with the menu, search form and page actions have now white
background.

5. Some cleanup was done to the CSS, a scrollbar could sometimes appear
at the bottom of the SideBar, a pixel here or there, a README file was
added.

As before, the JavaScript used by the skin is minimal, without
dependencies, and only cosmetic: the wiki will look nice and be very
usable even with JavaScript disabled.

Having a mobile-friendly layout reportedly increases the chance search
engines will list your site to visitors on mobile devices.

I've been using the 2016 skin daily, for several months, but I'll
appreciate if you can test it and report any problems, inconsistencies
or if you have ideas for improvements. You can browse PmWiki.org, or
enable the skin on your wiki. Test/review also if it works as expected
with any recipes/modules.

The new skin should ship with the next release due in a few days, but we
can improve it further.

The discussion can continue here:

   http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/01406

(or if you prefer, the mailing list).