[pmwiki-users] On the order of Markup

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed May 3 20:04:01 CDT 2017

On 04/05/17 09:54, Peter Kay wrote:
> re: use ($pagename):
>
> Ah, sorry - I replied without doublechecking my work.
>
> 'use (&$pagename) {etc}'  does work if it's defined in the global scope.
Seconded. Several recipes I have written use 'function ($m) use
(&$pagename) { ... }'.

I have found this construct easy to maintain. But...
> <snip>
> We also need to decide if we really drop PHP < 5.3 as there are many servers
> still using older versions. BTW, pmwiki.org uses 5.2.
>
> <snip>
> We will have to rewrite the core markup engine, markup rules and the
> processing of various $*Patterns (future PmWiki versions may have to drop
> support for PHP 5.2 and older).
I wonder whether now is the time to consider moving to "requires PHP 5.3
or above". PHP 5.2's end of life was 6 Jan 2011, so it may be reasonable
to specify 6 Jan 2018 as the date beyond which new versions of pmwiki
will require PHP 5.3 or above.

JR