[pmwiki-users] How to reactivate a pmwiki

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Thu Dec 21 00:11:25 PST 2023

On 21/12/2023 02:52, Mitch Cohen wrote:
> Hello! I have a wiki I used for nearly 10 years on my web server. I
> would like to re-activate it in the background of my primary site. Is
> this possible?

Absolutely, PmWiki can be installed either in a subdirectory like
example.com/wiki/ or if your hosting provider allows it, into a
subdomain like wiki.example.com.

> Where could I find instructions?

If you place your wiki files on the server, and you see any warnings or
errors, it is likely that your current hosting plan has a more recent
PHP version than the one that run the old PmWiki installation.

You should upgrade your PmWiki to the latest version in order to have
the latest security fixes and to run on hosting plans with recent PHP
versions.

The relevant pages are Upgrades, Release Notes, and Troubleshooting, and
you can read the notes between your previous PmWiki version and the
latest one.

   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Upgrades
   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ReleaseNotes
   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Troubleshooting

If the wiki is running, the PmWiki version should be visible on the wiki
pages PmWiki.PmWiki or PmWiki.Version, otherwise in the disk file
pmwiki/scripts/version.php.

You need to upgrade both PmWiki and likely any recipes / skins to their
latest versions. For recipes and skins, check their pages in the
Cookbook:

   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/Cookbook
   https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Skins/Skins

You should also review the file local/config.php in case it has
hardcoded URLs to the old location, notably the variables $ScriptUrl,
$PubDirUrl and $FarmPubDirUrl.

If you had some variant of CleanUrls configured before, this may need to
be either updated or dropped, depending on the hosting capacities.

Let us know if you have any questions or difficulties, we can assist
with this.

Petko