[pmwiki-users] Search with non-ascii characters in url q= parameter

Petko Yotov 5ko at 5ko.fr
Tue Jan 24 02:37:15 PST 2023

Yes, PmWiki can handle international characters in searches (try on
pmwiki.org), but you may need to enable UTF-8.

See https://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/UTF-8 as this may not be trivial
for existing wikis.

In fact, the browser will use the encoding of your page when it submits
a form. So if your wiki is in the old encoding ISO-8859-1, "ä" will be
encoded as "%E4", if your wiki is in UTF-8,  "ä" will be encoded as
"%C3%A4".

The browser's URL bar will show the UTF-8 international characters
decoded (ä), but not the other encodings (%E4). All browsers, all major
search engines, Wikipedia and other popular websites use UTF-8.

I have only recently encountered a Microsoft IIS installation that
refused to correctly decode international characters in pagenames (not
sure about searches) but somehow it worked with CleanURLs.

Petko