[pmwiki-devel] Question about Forms & Actions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Dec 11 12:04:17 CST 2006

Just to give a few confirmations/comments...

On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:24:04PM -0500, The Editor wrote:
> 1) The form action tells the browser where to send the form post,
> normally to PmWiki, but it could be to a cgi script, or wherever.

Yes.

> ...  The hidden
> action field in the form tells PmWiki to call the corresponding
> function, in this case the zap engine.  The form action is a html
> feature, the field action is a pmwiki feature.

Yes.

> 2) If I wanted to do some external cgi scripting, (which is NOT what
> you are talking about doing), I could change the form action parameter
> to the url of that script, but that recipe would have to then send the
> $_POST values back to PmWiki with the right url (including action=zap)
> in order for the zap engine to be called afterwards.

Yes.  But note that having a recipe perform its own POST operation
isn't trivial, and that many PHP installations are configured to
block PHP scripts from posting information to other urls or
contacting other webservers.

> PS.  Could you explain why you are using ZAP in an edit field?
> Interesting, but no clue why you are using it this way...  Quite
> curious!

I'm coming in late to this thread, but does the ZAP have to
be in the edit form itself?  Or could it be on the edit page
but outside of the actual form -- i.e., part of Site.EditForm
but outside of the (:input e_form:)...(:input end:) tags?