[pmwiki-devel] adding features to input tags: best practice?

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Wed Nov 15 11:52:47 CST 2006

Thanks, Caveman, for reminding me of the server-side validation provided
by ZAPdata.  I'll plan to have DataQuery produce ZAPdata code instead of
reinventing my own server-side validation.

However, I still feel like DataQuery needs some client-side validation
as well, since it can be a pain to fill out a form and submit it, only
to find that you typed a date in the wrong format, especially if
$EnableIMSCaching=0, so that when you go back to the form, everything
you typed is gone!  And I'd also like to continue the automatic
tabindexing feature of UpdateForm, because it makes data entry so much
easier.

So that brings us to Dom's project:

Dominique Faure wrote:
> Few weeks ago, I did some experiments around it, but hadn't enough
> time/needs to push them further. Anyway, here's my FormExtensions
> recipe skeleton code that you may use as a starting point
[...]
> Perhaps, should I make it a recipe by itself, you (and other form
> extensions recipes) could bet on?

Yes, please!  If you'll draft a recipe file that usurps the input
markup, I'll splice in the mask and auto-tabindex features from
UpdateForm.  Thanks!  --Ben