[pmwiki-devel] multi-file recipes and version tracking

Peter Bowers pbowers at pobox.com
Sat Apr 9 06:34:15 CDT 2011

I have a recipe that is made up of 3 scripts.  Depending on what
changes I make or bugs I fix a given release obviously may require
changes only to 1 or 2 of these scripts.

However, the recipe is documented on a single page at pmwiki.org, thus
a single "Version: X" stamp there.

What I've always done is update the $Version in each script and
uploaded all scripts, even if practically there is no change to that
script.  Is this the preferred way to do it?  It seems inefficient,
but I don' t know how else it could be handled...  (Although the
$Version refers to a given recipe name and so only one of the scripts
will be significant when checking using the RecipeCheck script...
That is a potential hole where a partially installed recipe could be
missed...)

Also, on a related note, I notice that some recipe authors always
upload a "dated" file (either recipe-2011-04-09.php or
recipe-2011-04-09.zip) while others upload an "undated" file
(recipe.php or recipe.zip), thus overwriting the older releases of the
recipe on each new release. Obviously it's personal preference, but is
there a "preferred" or "standard" for pmwiki release mgmt?

-Peter