[Pmwiki-users] Happy WikiTrails to you

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Mon Nov 4 16:35:53 CST 2002

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> I would have just utilized the grouping feature though.  Each trail
> would be a group unto itself and the ordering of the pages would be
> defined in the "main" page WikiGroup.WikiGroup.  Trails could be
> distinguished by name: FooTrail is, but FooBar isn't.

1. I see Trails and Groups as fundamentally different.  Trails define a
   sequence of pages; groups define sets of related pages (which may
   not be in sequence).  Also, I can imagine multiple intersecting trails,
   which would be difficult to implement by overloading the group structure.

2. I'm trying very hard to avoid distinguishing pages by name patterns;
   I certainly didn't want to introduce it just for this particular feature.
   Nothing else in PmWiki uses page name patterns to distinguish pages.
   I can foresee that people would be surprised when their page semantics
   are suddenly different just because they chose a name that happens to
   coincide with some special feature.

   To me, page name patterns are okay as long as they're done by
   convention (e.g., the "*Category" convention used by many wikis)
   and not because they're supported by specific implementation code.

> At least that's what this WikiTrail idea looks like to me. It's subgroup
> of a group. It's a group without the same link semantics and the added
> previous/next semantics. But, if you can live with the link semantics,
> then it's just a special group that knows it should be in a particular
> order.

This paragraph completely confuses me, sorry.