[Pmwiki-users] WikiTrail loops

Jonathan Scott Duff duff at pobox.com
Thu Nov 7 09:36:07 CST 2002

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 09:09:38AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
>
> > It occurs to me that this feature would be more useful if it were a
> > WikiOutline. A WikiTrail would just be an outline that's one level deep.
>
> I thought of this possibility but the rendering gets kinda weird.
> I couldn't come up with what the "Up one level" rendering should be.
> Put another way: how should the <|...|> markup be rendered in an
> outline (versus trail) format?  Or do you think it should render as
> "Previous: PreviousPage Up: UpPage Next: NextPage"?  I think I like the
> current trail rendering a bit better.

<PrevPage | ^UpPage | OutlinePage | NextPage>  doesn't work for you?
Actually, were I to do it, it'd probably be like this:

<PrevPage | ^UpPage | NextPage>  			OutlinePage

With the UpPage in there, the OutlinePage just seems like the odd man
out.  But then the markup and the rendering look radically different.

> If one is willing to forego the "Up one level" link in the <|...|>
> rendering, then the current implementation can be made to work with an
> outline format--just have it honor second- and third-level
> bullets as well as first-level bullets when constructing the trail.
> What do you think?

That'd work for me. Especially if by "bullets" you also mean
numbered lists.

> This is probably reasonable, although the next (scary) step might be to
> have it also grab links appearing in double brackets and use the substituted
> text in the <|...|> rendering, and I'm not sure I want to go there.

I think double bracketed links should be ignored for the purposes of
making a trail.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff