[Pmwiki-users] An outline for WikiOutlines with inlined markup?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at sci.tamucc.edu
Thu Nov 7 11:07:00 CST 2002

WikiOutline rendering, revisited:

Isabelle proposed

> > The ideal would be something like a cross, 2-dimentional navigation:
> >               UpPage
> > PrevPage | CurrentPage | NextPage
> >              DownPage

and Scott remarked

> Yes, but how do you get back to the outline page?  I think it should
> show up somewhere on each of its constituent pages.

and Pm added

> [This] seems like a *lot* of stuff to be generating from a single
> <|OutlinePage|> markup and placing in every content page of the
> outline.  Pretty soon the page[s] contain more outline/navigation text
> than actual page contents.  :-)

Upon reflection, there may (keyword: "may") be some reasonable renderings
if we use abbreviated outlines.  For example, we could do:

  TopOutLinePage
    FirstLevelPageB
      SecondLevelPage2
        PreviousPage
        CurrentPage
        NextPage

which omits everything not directly related to CurrentPage by location
or ancestry.  Or, following a breadcrumb model, some variation of:

  OutlinePage > FirstLevelPageB > SecondLevelPage2 > CurrentPage
  (Prev: PreviousPage  Next: NextPage)

which gets us down to two lines of mostly inlined text.

Comments?  Further improvements?  BTW, unless/until someone identifies
a specific situation where they need WikiOutline capabilities
I'm viewing most of this discussion as just brainstorming (as opposed
to leading to a specific implementation).  But I'm still planning to
release some version of the WikiTrail code before the weekend; I don't
yet know how much support there might be for WikiOutlines, depends on
how easy it is to implement as I'm cleaning up the trail code.

Pm

P.S.:  Just a thought:  anyone think that Scott's proposal for
  WikiOutline might be an approach to handling ThreadMode documents in
  wiki...?  See http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/PmWikiThreadModeDiscussion
  and http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/PmWiki/ThreadMode for a discussion of
  what "ThreadMode" means if you're curious.