[Pmwiki-users] Re: An outline for WikiOutlines with inlined markup?

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Thu Nov 7 15:52:24 CST 2002

> P.S.:  Just a thought:  anyone think that Scott's proposal for=20
>   WikiOutline might be an approach to handling ThreadMode documents in=20
>   wiki...?=20

I do now that you mention it.  :-)

Here are some potential drawbacks:
        * Most threaded discussion is interleaved such that it's better
          to have the thing being replied to in front of you as well as
          the replies. With the outline approach, you'd need to click
          back and forth between two separate pages.
        * We may run into a problem coming up with meaningful page
          names as a thread progresses.

See http://www.pmichaud.com/wiki/Experimental/ThreadTrail to get a
feel for it.  Granted, some of the context was lost, but see if you
can still follow the discussion.

----
If someone reading such a threaded discussion feels the context is being =
lost, that person has the option of editing a page and inserting [[include:=
PreviousStop]]. Which kind of defeats the purpose, so ought to be used =
sparingly, if at all. And if somebody thinks it should be a standard that =
all such threaded discussion pages on their wiki should be of the form =
Statement : Reply, the add-in probably gives them enough pointers that =
they could code a modification to insert [[include:PreviousStop]] whenever =
wiki finds <<ThreadPage>>. If they felt strongly enough...

JR