[Pmwiki-users] Markup

Massimiliano Mirra mmirra
Thu Aug 7 13:22:42 CDT 2003

I was converting the bug list of something I am working on into a
format to feed to pmwiki.   The format I have kept it in so far is
this (text is in Italian but this has nothing to do with content):
* mozilla-locale-it (severity: bug): Non pacchettizzato per la
versione installata su Knoppix. (open)  * knoppiversity-skel-it
(severity: bug): La directory /etc/skel non viene copiata come
tale.  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession copia file specifici. (open)
* links2 (severity: bug): Compilato in Woody, non funziona in
Knoppix, perch? si appoggia alle librerie OpenSSL 0.9.6, mentre in
Knoppix ci sono le 0.9.7.  (open)   The format in which I have
converted it is as follows (as it appears in Emacs with
pmwiki-mode and longlines activated):   ||border=1
|| ''Package'' || ''Severity'' || ''Description'' || ''Status'' ||
||mozilla-locale-it || bug ||Non pacchettizzato per la versione
installata su Knoppix. || open ||
||knoppiversity-skel-it || bug ||La directory /etc/skel non viene
copiata come tale.  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession copia file
specifici. || open ||
||links2 || bug ||Compilato in Woody, non funziona in Knoppix,
perch? si appoggia alle librerie [=OpenSSL=] 0.9.6, mentre in
Knoppix ci sono le 0.9.7. || open ||   This had me wonder: is wiki
a simplified markup or a transparent, implicit markup?  With
transparent markup I mean that text appears completely clean and
natural to the casual reader, an ordinary plain text document.
Below is one way the information above could be represented with a
more transparent markup.  Harder to parse for sure but hopefully
not to the point to require AI.    mozilla-locale-it Severity: bug
Knoppix.  Status: open  knoppiversity-skel-it Severity: bug
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession copia file specifici.  Status: open
links2 Severity: bug Description: Compilato in Woody, non funziona
in Knoppix, perch? si appoggia alle librerie [=OpenSSL=] 0.9.6,
mentre in Knoppix ci sono le 0.9.7.  Status: open   Of course, the
following would also appear natural to the casual reader:
+------------------------+----------+-------------------------------------------+--------+
| Package                | Severity | Description
| Status |
+------------------------+----------+-------------------------------------------+--------+
| mozilla-locale-it      | bug      | Non pacchettizzato per la
versione        | open   | |                        |          |
installata su Knoppix.                    |        |
+------------------------+----------+-------------------------------------------+--------+
| knoppiversity-skel-it  | bug      | La directory /etc/skel non
viene          | open   | |                        |          |
copiata come tale.                        |        | | | |
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession copia file |        | | |
| specifici.  |        |
+------------------------+----------+-------------------------------------------+--------+
| links2                 | bug      | Compilato in Woody, non
funziona in       | open   | |                        |          |
Knoppix, perch?                           |        |
+------------------------+----------+-------------------------------------------+--------+

But it is way too impractical to create an maintain even with an
advanced text editor.  So a balance has to be struck.

I do not mean to imply that one answer to the question is better than
the other.  I had not considered it before but more or less
unconsciouly assumed that wiki text had to be transparent.  Maybe this
is because I am so fond of Emacs and text editing that I mostly see
HTML rendering as an add-on. :-) I would really like to hear others'
opinion (especially Patrick's since this obviously sets the direction
for a wiki).

Massimiliano