[Pmwiki-users] CVS features was: discussion on line breaks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Tue Aug 12 09:53:09 CDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 10:25:20AM -0500, Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:42:45AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On the other hand, as I write this now, my reluctance to use merge(1)
> > seems a bit silly to me--if merge is available, then make use of it to
> > resolve edit conflicts when they occur, if not, then posts continue to
> > work as they always have.
>
> How do you know when to apply merge(1)? Will each edit have to be
> submitted along with the revision number it is editing?

Umm, probably revision date and not revision number, as this information
is already stored in the page's history and is easier to track.  But yes,
there will be some sort of hidden field in the edit form to indicate
which version of the page was the source of the edit.

There are a couple of things that PmWiki could choose to do if that
revision field isn't present: (1) process the post without merging edits,
as is currently done, or (2) refuse to accept the post.  The choice would
likely be site-configurable, with #1 being the default action.