[Pmwiki-users] Action to get search result in raw-format (Emacs / pmwiki-mode)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Thu Aug 21 09:51:56 CDT 2003

On Thu, Aug 21, 2003 at 04:57:30PM +0200, Christian Ridderstr?m wrote:
> I also know that action=search gives me a list of the pages. However,
> the result is in HTML-format. Is there a way that I can get the search
> result in PmWiki markup?

The search results are never turned into PmWiki markup at any point--they
always go directly to HTML.  So yes, it'd be possible to configure the
search module to produce output in PmWiki markup, but that should probably
be a special action (or an option to the ?action=search component).

> A related thought here is to add a "special page" called
>       Main/AllPages
>       Main/SiteMap
> or something similar, that simply lists all pages. From a user's point of
> view, it's not really obvious that you get a list of all pages by
> searching for an empty string. (Although this *is* in the documentation).

So far I've been reluctant to create pages that receive special
processing based on their names, preferring instead to produce
program-generated output either by introducing new actions
(e.g., ?action=refcount, ?action=search) or by introducing markup
into pages that produce the desired output (e.g., the grouplist.php
modules described in the Cookbook).  To me, if something has a url
that looks like a page url (e.g., Main/AllPages), it should be
editable somehow.

So, my suggestion here would be to develop a markup sequence that could
be put in wiki markup to mean "generate a list of all pages", "generate
a list of all groups", "list all pages within a group", etc.  If the
markup could be made fancy enough, it could even do things like "sort
based on name, size, last modified", etc.

Also, I keep wanting to get started on a good FAQ document that would
answer these sorts of questions ("How do I get a list of all pages?") but
I just haven't had a good chance to start it yet.  :-|