[Pmwiki-users] page revisions: alternative "merged" view?

Jonathan Scott Duff duff
Tue Dec 16 11:32:34 CST 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 03:09:31PM -0200, Fabio Reis Cecin wrote:
> Maybe instead of setting explicit marks, you could ask to see what a
> page looked like X days ago.

This path is fraught with peril. What's a day? Is one day ago exactly
86400 seconds ago? Or at the beginning of the day yesterday?  What if
you've acheived a final copy that you're happy with after many many
minor edits and then a few minutes later an evil doer starts defacing
your page?

> Ok, you're probably right :-)
> But then I was going to suggest a viewcvs-like thingy...

I thought about that when I mentioned the mark idea, but didn't
mention it because that's a Whole Other Thing.  :-)

Something that someone could do would be to replace the backend
storage for pmwiki with CVS such that you'd get cvsweb "for
not-so-expensive-but-not-quite-free".  And you'd get some of the other
"benefits" of CVS (tags for instance).  I don't know that the
bang/buck ratio is right for this though.

-Scott
--
Jonathan Scott Duff
duff at lighthouse.tamucc.edu