[Pmwiki-users] Attr behavior in groups and pages.

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Jul 10 10:24:47 CDT 2003

When I built PmWiki's password system I thought about adding something
like this but decided to follow PmWikiPhilosophy #3 (avoid gratuitous
features) until it appeared to be needed.

As a review (and to verify that I'm understanding John correctly)--currently
page passwords override group passwords, and group passwords override
the default passwords (in $DefaultPasswords).  So, if a group has a
password set, there's not currently a way to have individual pages in the
group be unprotected.  For example, one might want to have a group where
all but a small subset of pages are protected by an edit password.

I can certainly modify the authorization routines to allow groups and
pages to override an existing password to be "no password required".
I.e., just as one can enter "clear" in the action=attr page to remove
a password from a page, we could have some other value indicate that
a page doesn't require a password even if the group or default does.
Any suggestions for what this value ought to be?  Ideas I can come up
with off the top of my head...

   allowall     (John's suggestion)
   allowany
   allow
   nopass
   notrequired
   none
   any

As usual, the actual value to be used in any particular installation will
probably be in a configuration variable that can be changed by the
administrator...

Pm