[Pmwiki-users] [XHTML] My Experiment - Final local.php setup

John Feezell johnfeezell at 3wplace.com
Sat Jul 12 18:51:47 CDT 2003

The following reference details what I believe to be the appropriate
recommended mime types for use with xhtml. Based upon this information, my
conclusions are given below.

xhtml reference
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-xhtml-media-types-20020801/

My conclusions:

Correct setup for checking the validity and well-formedness of xhtml
documents AND rendering them correctly.  (Without reference to external xsl
or css documents.)  Works with both Opera 7.11 and IE 5.5.

 $HTMLDoctypeFmt = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"
standalone="no" ?>
   <!DOCTYPE html
   PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   <head>';
 $HTTPHeaders[] = "Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1";

Correct setup for checking the validity and well-formedness of xhtml
documents and rendering them as xml in IE 5.5.  Opera continues to render
them as completed html output.  (I assume that it is using an internal css
of some type.)

 $HTMLDoctypeFmt = '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"
standalone="no" ?>
   <!DOCTYPE html
   PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
   <head>';
 $HTTPHeaders[] = "Content-Type: text/xml; charset=iso-8859-1";

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a different "brand" of
browser.  Do these work?  How are they render? xml or html?  Any other
comments or feedback.